Zucchini Fritters w/ Cashew Sour Cream (makes 6-8 fritters)
INGREDIENTS - FRITTERS (inspired by "Loving It Vegan")
-3 + 1/2 cups grated zucchini, unpacked
-1/4 cup white onion, minced (sub red onion for a punchier flavour, or green onions for a classic fritter taste)
-1/2 tsp minced garlic
-1/4 cup vegan butter, melted (I used Earth Balance baking sticks; vegan Becel would also work)
-olive oil for frying
-1 tsp salt
-1 + 1/2 tsp baking powder
-1 cup flour
-1/4 cup nutritional yeast
-chopped green onion to garnish
INGREDIENTS - CASHEW SOUR CREAM (inspired by Dustin Harder's "The Simply Vegan")
-1 cup cashews
-1/2 cup water
-juice of one lemon
-1/4 tsp kosher salt
-dash of apple cider vinegar
1. Cover cashews with boiling water. Let sit for 10 minutes or so to soften.
2. Grate zucchini, then place in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 10 minutes to let the salt extract excess water from the zucchini.
3. While zucchini sits, blend all sour cream ingredients (including cashews) in a blender or food processor until smooth. The mixture will thicken with time - either leave in blender or place in fridge.
4. With your hands, squeeze the water from the zucchini and place in a new bowl.
5. Add in flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder, minced garlic, and chopped white onions. Mix well.
6. Fold in melted butter. Batter should be thick and less crumbly at this stage.
7. Add some olive oil (about a tbsp) to a frying pan over medium heat. Once pan is hot, add an ice-cream scoop-sized spoonful of batter, flatten with spatula (rub spatula with oil to prevent sticking), and let cook.
8. Once the first side is crispy, flip the fritter. Repeat until batter is used, replacing the olive oil when needed.
9. Serve with a dollop of cashew sour cream and top with fresh green onion. Enjoy.